Saturday, April 24, 2010

Building Unity on Your Worship Team

Joe Horness Session One

Find the right people.

1. Make sure they are genuinely gifted. (people have a tremendous capacity for self deception in the area of their talents)
- (think American Idol contestants, for instance)
- Understanding spiritual gifts.. help people find areas in which they are gifted
2. Are your musicians/vocalists Spiritually Authentic?
- Do they mean what they are singing?
3. Are they emotionally Mature?
- Value community as much as talent
- Me monsters and primadonnas are toxic to a team!

Right values for a team!

1. Who Am I?
- I Chronicles 17-28 Who am I that Thou hast brought me this far? Watch for the feeling, why are they getting the solo, I would do that so much better.. think "Who am I?" Worry about the kingdom, not yourself! Instead think, "Who am i that you would use me at ALL?

2. You 'Da Man
- Toy story quote "What if he gets another dinosaur? I don't think I can handle that kind of rejection.
- New talent is a good thing! What if God is trying to grow the ministry, more locations, or more services..
- Maybe God is bringing us more talent for a reason...
- Don't hold on to your spot... but celebrate others' successes
- Joe shared a story of how he build up and mentored a new worship leader, and the that guy was getting all the recognition.. it was rough for him...
God spoke to him "If there are successful worship leaders all around the country and noone knows your name are you ok?"
Wow! Ouch..Yes? then get over yourself...

3. He Must Increase
- John 3:30 He must increase and I must decrease!
- sometimes not being on stage is the thing you need most for him to work in you!
- God is more concerned about our character than our contribution.


4. Eyes Only
- Matthew 18:15 "Go to your brother or sister in private..."
- "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another even as i have loved you...by this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another." John 13
- should be no bickering or fighting, but an attitude of love!

2 comments:

  1. I can stay here and get the updates - two birdies with one stone
    missed the Toy Story tag and tought he was talking about me when he mentioned dinosaurs
    bb

    ReplyDelete