"How the Mighty Fall"
5 Stages of Decline
1. Hubris Born of Success (we can do whatever because we are really good..)
It's not success that leads to arrogance but outrageous arrogance and neglect.
Arrogance to believe that since our desire is good and noble, our decisions must be good and noble as well.
Leadership is not about you.
Great leaders never give up.
You can look great on the outside and be sick on the inside.
Humility separates good leaders from great leaders.
2. Undisciplined Pursuit of More
If you allow growth to to superceed the ability to have a team with all four C's in all the key places, you will fail.
Fill all your leadership seats with fantastic people.
3. Denial of Risk and Peril
look to the facts. Don't deny the danger and risks ahead.
4. Grasping for Salvation
a new big CEO or outside savior
something new or big to pull you out of the struggle
it's not one big push.. it's cumulative momentum..it does not happen overnight
Disciplined people engaged in disciplined thought taking disciplined actions = steady progress over time. - Jim Collins
5. Capitulation to Irrevelance or Death
lost person, cultural, and actual capital..you are done, toast, gone
You can come back from late stage 4, but in 5 you are done.
Ask the question. What would happen if we disappeared? Would there be a gaping hole in our community?
Preserve something core and stimulate progress.. not one or the other. AND not OR
1. Do your diagnostics.. good to great diagnostic tool free at Jim Collins.com
2. Count your blessings. (literally, in a spreadsheet) (all the success you did not cause is humbling)
3. What is your question to statement ration and try to double it.
"You spend way to much time being interesting, how
4. How many key seats do you have on your bus, how many are fantastic? How are you going to get there?
5. Diagnostic.. of team on the way up or down
6. With your fantastic team decide what are the brutal facts? be brutally honest
7. Not just a to do list a stop doing list. Very important to talk about what to stop.
8. Define results focus on benchmarks.. show concrete great results
9. Double your reach to young people by changing your practices without changing your core values
10. Create a Big Hairy Audacious Goal. BHAG
If you truly set out to be useful never capitulate, never give in never, never, never.