Friday, May 8, 2009

Sunday May 10th



This week I led at the church's larger venue, the old Ames department store. This is the "mother-ship" of our 3 site church.

We had a beastly awesome team this week, so much talent and so much heart.

Here's the flow

Hosanna -Brooke Frasier (Key of E )
Awesome God- Vicky Beeching (Key of E)
We Cry Out- Kim Walker version (Key of D#m)

MOF (which means moment of fellowship btw)
Baby Dedication

How He Loves- Kim Walker version (Key of F#)
Amazed- Jared Anderson (Key of D)
You Are God Alone- Billy and Cindy Foote (Key of G)

Mother's Day guest speaker

The diggety:
I spent a huge amount of time and energy thinking and praying through the set and the verbals and transitions and verses and everything.
I can honestly say I put my all into this service.
The team was amazing, and getting on well with one another, which is key!
I was prepared enough that I could truly worship, even in the first service.

The dirty:
Communication Problems- (seems a constant issue at our church)
Also, the service went super well, not a single crawl under the stage moment, but I would be lying if I didn't say I was a bit disappointed in the congregational response. It's hard to pour your everything into worship and watch pockets of people just staring with their arms crossed.
I am second guessing myself as to how to help people engage in worship. I want so much for people to connect with God through what we are doing on stage. And they are, truly, but not enough. I think God wants more from us. I think God wants more from me.

Check out some other orders over at Fred's..Seriously, check it!
http://www.fredmckinnon.com/myblog/2009/05/10/sunday-setlists-42/

8 comments:

  1. Love those last two statements. I think that could be said for everybody- I'm having that issue too. Congregational response is a tricky thing- because you say- "I don't want to be bothered by their response" but in reality it is difficult when you are singing your brains out in worship and people are just looking at you- it makes you self conscious...
    Great set list- you did some crazy awesome songs! Kim Walker in D#m- as a keyboard player- i cringe !

    ReplyDelete
  2. "You Are God Alone" is one of our favorites. Solid GITS (God in the Spotlight) songs are hard to find and this is one of them. I concur with your comments; nothing is more disheartening that people who are not participating; they can quench the Spirit if we aren't careful. We can't make people worship, but we can pray for them.

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congregational response. We could hit that note for awhile, huh? Our drummer and I have committed to praising God, regardless of what everyone else is doing. We really try to encourage each other in the fact that God is our audience. It helps. Good stuff you're doing. Billy Foote has written some wonderful stuff, hasn't he?

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I was prepared enough that I could truly worship, even in the first service... I would be lying if I didn't say I was a bit disappointed in the congregational response. It's hard to pour your everything into worship and watch pockets of people just staring with their arms crossed."

    I identify with both of those situations. Oddly, I don't think many people really get it when you say something like that first part, about being prepared enough to truly worship. That is NOT as easy as it sounds.

    And the second part. Of course (and unfortunately) I feel your pain there, too.

    I think I like your setlist, but I don't know a few of them. :) I love the combo of those last two!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We did a Baby Dedication this week also! I thought it was kind of neat to do it on Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for Kim Walker :)

    Everything I wanted to say has been said by Justin and Dean, so i'll just say I agree - I know He wants more from me...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know He wants more from me...
    amen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jennifer - I just want to encourage you that even if everyone else's response was not as vertical as you would have hoped for - God could still see your heart's desire for Him. I COMPLETELY understand what you are saying, but you never know what is happening in the hearts of men. On some of my rougher worship days the people from Grouchy Face Assembly were the exact ones who came up after service and said how much our worship touched them.

    I think your conclusion is the remedy - we continue to give Him our all and let Him change men's hearts while we seek after His. Awesome set!

    ReplyDelete